Setting up an effective Enterprise Portfolio Management Office (PMO) to provide comprehensive and consistent project management practices and reliable, metrics-based status can be done by performing the following three steps:
- Obtain buy-in and commitment to a governance structure and model. This includes defining the governance team and responsibilities including processes to define involvement level, accountability, and ownership. The typical governance model should include three levels:
- Operational level – accountable for operational execution for delivery of project goals and objectives.
- Tactical level – accountable for overall tactical coordination, implementation, and focus.
- Strategic level – ultimately accountable for strategic decisions and successful outcome of the project.
- Identify dedicated business and technical resources including executive owners and key roles to remove roadblocks and resolve escalated issues and ensure the projects align with the overall organization’s objectives.
- Implement common tools and processes to manage high-level milestone schedules and provide consistent reporting including on-demand dashboards.
Dewpoint is here to assist with tailoring a PMO to support your organizational needs at a level your organization can adopt and benefit from. Our PM experts have a broad range of industry experience combined with year of experience and certifications. If you want to stop staffing people and start staffing projects, learn more about how we can help.