This summer, Symantec released its latest version of its NetBackup data protection software: Veritas NetBackup 7.7 . The new upgrade boasts major advances in cloud backup, as it allows organizations to easily add cloud storage as a backup solution within their data environments.
“Today many enterprises are adding cloud storage to their menu of backup storage choices to gain the advantages of elasticity, agility, and OpEx pricing, or simply to replace tape,” says Ana Pinczuk, Senior Vice President, Backup and Recovery for Veritas. “NetBackup 7.7 is designed to exploit these storage alternatives in a much more optimal way, enabling IT organizations to easily incorporate cloud storage into their backup strategy, without compromise.”
One of the most exciting new features of the NetBackup 7.7 upgrade is that it now offers more cloud storage choices. It introduces a new cloud connector designed around Amazon Simple Storage ServiceTM (Amazon S3) that will enable connections to Amazon Web ServicesTM (AWS) as well as potentially any Amazon S3-compatible cloud storage service. NetBackup 7.7 also integrates with Google Nearline, Hitachi Data Systems (HDS), Verizon, Cloudian, VMware® vSphere Virtual Volumes, Microsoft® Hyper-V, NetApp clustered Data ONTAP® (cDOT), and Microsoft SQL Server™.
NetBackup 7.7 customers now have the ability to:
- Use of cloud storage as an alternative to tape when choosing long-term storage of backup data
- Backup of large volumes of data at a low cost, and access to it any time
- Monitor and manage all backup information, regardless of location – disk, tape or cloud
“The hybrid cloud model is the new norm inside of the enterprise,” says Simon Jelley, Senior Director of Product Management, Information Management Group for Symantec. “Determining what is valuable becomes more complicated as IT organizations employ multiple hypervisors, storage platforms and cloud models. Our approach is focusing on hybrid cloud and investing to help ensure that our customers have the tools to manage information in increasingly complex environments.
The upgrade will also allow users to move more data to and from the cloud faster. NetBackup’s new Amazon S3-compatible cloud takes advantage of multistreaming and other techniques to more fully exploit available network bandwidth. While performance results will vary for different environments, internal NetBackup 7.7 testing has shown performance improvements of up to 30 times faster backups and restores when compared to previous NetBackup releases.
Other key features of the NetBackup 7.7 upgrade include:
- Converged backup platform integrates software and hardware to create a solution that is extremely easy to deploy and maintain.
- Extensive integration with virtual and physical systems, applications, and storage technologies enable almost any enterprise environment to be protected using a single solution.
- Accelerator reduces backup times from hours to minutes by limiting backups to changed blocks and combining them with previous backup data to produce synthetic full backups.
- Auto Image Replication automates the process of moving data to another site for disaster recovery, merging data from multiple sources and synchronizing catalog information to speed recovery.
- Replication Director orchestrates hardware snapshot and replication operations from leading providers such as NetApp and EMC, ensures snapshots are application-consistent, and catalogs snapshots for easy file restore.
The new NetBackup 7.7 provides single solution for your enterprise, available on a converged platform, and requires minimal administration even in the largest, most dynamic environments.
To learn more about Veritas NetBackup 7.7, and its other great capabilities, request a consultation with Dewpoint.
Tags: NBU 7.7